Sunday, March 27, 2011

On a train, destination: my future

So for this blog post, I thought I would do something a little different.  Not in my writing style, not with my genius comments but with my location.  I am currently on a train to Angers where I am going to spend the weekend with my host family and my friends in Angers.  Trains in France are probably my favorite method of transportation in Europe.  They are comfortable, fast, and all you need to do is sit back and relax and you are to your destination in no time.  It helps that there is always beautiful scenery on either side of you.  Right now, I'm looking at the French countryside, there are a few very old, rustic looking houses, lots of farms.  It's a beautiful day too so the colors are amazing as well.  Clear blue sky, lots of green grass, and the neutral tones of the cottages, and farms.  Let's not forget about the animals. Horses and sheep in any direction you look.  Oh and of course, the little, cute, old French man who we just passed as he was relaxing in the morning sun.  Trust me, riding the train through this beautiful country is just as amazing as it sounds.

Seeing as I have time until I get to Angers, I need to tell you about my past two weeks.  Well, I got back from my grand vacation (from my year long vacation as some people have said) refreshed and invigorated.  I was not happy to go back to school, in fact I was dreading it.  But I was still on a high from my amazing trip that I didn't care that much.  Classes have gone pretty well actually.  I have been bonding more with my classes by speaking more french to them.  And it was nice to catch up with them because I hadn't seen them for at least a couple of weeks.  I have some that are taking their final English exam in just a couple weeks, some just got back from Spain because they are studying Spanish too, and some new kids that are going to London in May and are interested in improving their English before then.  It's been a long two weeks of class with lots of students and lots of repition.  I'm very glad to be doing something different this weekend.

Another major event that has passed since I last wrote is, of course, St. Patrick's Day.  Now, at every college in the US, this is a major party day.  Wear green and drink lots of Guinness, right?  Well, the French really don't feel the same about the holiday.  So where did we go to celebrate this famous day?  The Irish Bar in town, O'Donnell's.  They were for sure going to celebrate.  I met up with Nicole, Sam, and Elisa who are teaching in Lisieux this year, at the bar about 5 pm on Thursday.  It was also Nicole's birthday that day so we had to celebrate for two reasons.  As the night went on, more and more assistants came out to the bar. Soon we had our little corner of Americans at the bar.  We made new friends and had a lot of fun!

Nicole and me

Friends on St. Patty's Day

My new friend who brought me a glow stick

Margaux and me

The girls

It has been absolutely gorgeous in Normandy for the last week.  The sun comes out everyday and it's so warm.  I have been going out without a jacket for the first time since September.  Spring is here!  Last Sunday, Parisa, Margaux and I met at Parisa's appartment for an afternoon of high tea, french style.  We had tea, baguette, cheese, strawberries, nutella, and pasteries.  Lovely afternoon with two lovely ladies.

High tea in France

But of course, I have also been dealing with a few things these past two weeks too.  First one is obvious: I had to go back to school.  Then, I decided that it was probably time to start job hunting in the US for when I get back in June.  While it's annoying and time-consuming, it's necessary and actually going pretty well so far.  And I also have some wonderful teachers who have offered to help me by writing letters or being references.  They really are so sweet. Last Friday, three teachers from my middle school and I went to dinner at a wonderful pizza place.  They didn't let me pay for any of my meal or for the drink that we got afterwards.  They are hysterically funny and really great people with some pretty wicked senses of humor which always makes being around them great fun.

And that was just yesterday so now you'll caught up!  About to get to my first stop to get to Angers.  It's still really pretty out there, a lot more trees now and little towns that we pass by.  Just a cluster of houses, and a church steeple peeking out.   Simple but lovely.

Yes, it's truly a beautiful life.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment