Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Strikes (and cultural experiences) Continue!

While some people are tired of the strikes and upset over the inconviences they're causing, I am still completely fascinated by the process and the effects.

There was a country-wide organized strike against raising the retirment age on Tuesday, but because this strike is indefinite, it is continuing day after day.  I went into my school this morning at 8:15 for my first class.  I spoke with Christine on the way to class who told me that she does not participate in the strikes and thinks they do not accomplish anything.  She informed me that some classes might not be taking place today because many students and teachers have problems getting to school if they are using public transportation.  You will see why public transportation gets delayed later in this post.  Most of her students were in class and she sat in the back while I taught them about baseball and American football.  It was a fun lesson for them and I think they enjoyed it.  Their favorite part might have been when I sang "Take me out to the ballgame"!  After class, Christine had me do a recording on roommates.  Since William didn't have any recordings for me to do, I went downstairs to find the other two teachers I work with to see if they were going to be in their classes today.

When I went into the teacher's lounge, I found a group of teachers on their way outside to stand in front of the school on strike.  In that group were, of course, the two teachers I was going to work with later that day.  They said they would not be in class today so I was free to go home.  I was supposed to work until 2:30 and it was about 10:00.  Well, okay.  Then they asked if I wanted to come stand with them outside.  While I do not necessarily support the strikes and think people are taking this a little out of control, I had to go see what they were going to do.

This is the first thing we see when we walk outside of the gate.  This is called bocking, for obvious reasons, and is done by students.  They block the entrances of their schools with crates, as you see here, or trash, or anything they can find to make it hard to get into the school.  Claire, a teacher at my high school, has informed me she believes students will do this all next week as well.  With their holiday coming up at the end of next week, they all want to have lots of time off school.  That means discouraging teachers and students from getting inside the school.


For awhile, all of the teachers were just standing in the entrance to the school.  I kept asking Claude what was the plan and what they were going to do.  She didn't really know what was going on, but intended to follow the other teachers.  I was beginning to think that I would get going, until a tram went by and a teacher yelled out (in French), "That's the last one that's getting by." Uh oh.  This should be exciting.  


So I stand there with the other teachers on strike and wait for the next tram.  It is beginning to rain at this point, and I know that I am going to have to at least walk to the next tram stop further up because I know they are planning to block the next one when it comes.  Everything outside is mass chaos at this point.  Students from the high school across the way get out of class and come towards the teachers.  Claude told me they have been planning this for awhile now, what 'this' is, I'm not quite sure.  Then, a few students from our middle school get out of class, and beginning running towards and out the gates.  Some teachers pull students back in the gates and close them.  We are located on a busy street, and these kids were not even looking to see if it was safe to cross the street.

Then the real fun started.  A tram in the distance.

The high school kids on our side of the street run across the way, to stand on the tracks.  Some teachers cross to stand on the tracks.  Meanwhile, cars are still zooming by and this tram is approaching the blockade.  The students stand their ground and make no effort to get out of the way of the tram.  The tram slows to a stop in front of the students, while honking it's horn.  No one moves.





This was when I decided to begin my walk home, and possibly catch a tram when or if they happened to let one through.  I passed by many students on my way back, who were all headed towards the direction of the blockade so who knows what they were all planning next.  I do not know what they think they are accomplishing by stalling trams and being hooligans in the street, but they think it's going to work.  Despite the strikes since Tuesday, there has been no change to the current retirement age of 62. 


So that was my morning.  Since Thursday is my last day of class, I am now on my weekend.  The assistants have orientation on Monday (luckily at my high school!) so I will not have to teach that day either.  After next week is my trip to London, Scotland, and Ireland!  It's going by so fast.  I have almost been here for a full month!  Despite the initial freak out when I first got here, I have loved getting to know this city and this fascinating culture!  It is wonderful and I am loving my time here! Until next time!

C'est la bonne vie pour moi! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment