Thursday, October 21, 2010

A week in the life...

Just realized that I haven't updated in about a week.  Nothing terribly exciting happened in the last 7 days, just simply living my life in France.  That's exciting enough if you ask me!

Last weekend was very similar to all of my other weekends in Caen: a bunch of assistants get together for food or drinks and we talk about life, living in this wonderful country, and the most recent escapades the French are getting into.  Sunday, of course, was the market by the port.  It was chilly this past Sunday but still nice to walk around after mass at Saint Pierre.  Monday, we finally had our orientation for the assistants working at middle schools and high schools.  We have been waiting for this orientation since we all arrived about a month ago.  The  information/orientation session was similar to what an orientation would be when you have been in your job for 2 weeks already: boring and a waste of time.  The part that saved this day from being completely wasted was meeting all of the other assistants that we have been emailing, but haven't met yet because they teach in different cities.  It was so great to meet them, especially since we have been emailing each other since June. We are planning on having an assistant Thanksgiving so hopefully we can all hang out again then.

Tuesday I had class as usual, only one cancelled because a teacher was on strike.  That night, I met a few friends at a bar that I haven't been to yet.  It was a really cool place and I will definitely visit again soon, hopefully on a night more people are out!  I had a classic Normandy drink called an embuscade.  The literal translation of this word is ambush.  Think of this as the Normandy version of a Long Island.  It has Calvados, which is a liquor from Normandy, wine, and beer.  Needless to say, I had one and was happy for the rest of the night.  We didn't stay out too late this night, which was smart because it started pouring on my way home.

Wednesday I needed to do laundry for my trip and also take care of a form for my rental agency in Eugene, Oregon.  As if I didn't have enough bureaucracy to deal with in France, I had to sign this form and get it notarized to be able to receive my security deposit back.  Anyone who knows me knows I would have taken care of this right away had I been in America.  But in France?  You have got to be kidding me.  You want me to find a notary?  After trying to get out of this several times with several different suggestions, I decided to show them up and actually find a notary in France and get this done so I could get my check.  The first place I went to was close for lunch when I got there.  I only had 10 minutes to wait so Whitney and I sat in the sun for awhile.  This notary is right across from L'Abbey aux Hommes and Hotel de Ville.  It was a beautiful day so why not take a picture?

Hotel de Ville and Abbey aux Hommes

Waiting for the le notaire to come back from lunch

Can you guess what happened when they came back from lunch?  It says 'Le Notaire' on the side of the building but of course they can't do a notary, I have to go somewhere else. That was predictable.  Okay, let's try another place.  On my third try, I finally had a notary that was willing to get past the confusing paper in English brought in by an American, listen to what I needed, and save me from my nightmare.  They charged me 15 euro for a tiny little signature, but I did it!  It's all in French so the people at my real estate agency will not be able to understand it, which should worry me, but instead it makes me kind of happy on the inside.  I went through the trouble, I did what I needed to do, why should I care if it inconvenience you because you can't read it?  Insert evil laugh here. 

Wednesday continued to be a busy day, because it was my turn to help cook dinner for that night.  Wednesday nights we have mass at Saint Julien and then we all eat dinner together.  There can be anywhere from 50-70 people.  We made 6 dessert pies, about 8 bags of frozen vegetables, sausages, and a lot of couscous.  There were more people than we expected but everything turned out great, and people enjoyed the meal.  Because there are so many people, everyone only has to cook dinner once so I am finished for the year. I left before the activity of the night because I needed to prepare for my classes on Thursday. 

Thursday I had 3 classes and all of them were a little difficult in their own way.  In my early morning class, we talked about roommates.  They had already listened to a recording I had done about roommates but didn't understand all of it.  I tried to explain everything I said to them but it was like pulling teeth trying to get these kids to talk.  I had a little more luck with my second group.  It could have been because it was so early in the morning but also because the school vacation is starting Friday.  Between the strikes and their two week break starting in a matter of hours, I think these kids are completely checked out.  My next two classes were difficult because I felt that no one understood what I was saying.  I tried to play a game with one class and have the other do a worksheet that I made up.  In both classes, I had blank stares and answers in French.  At the end of the day, I was just as ready for this vacation as those kids. 

When I came home, I received the best package ever in the mail from the world's greatest parents.  They sent me candy, glow sticks, peanuts, crackerjacks, guidebooks, and pictures from home that I will to use in my classes.  Even if I thought I didn't need some of those things from home, I know now that I definitely did.  Glenn and Helen Ostapeck, you are the best!  You can expect pretty awesome Christmas presents :) 



The other English teachers at my middle school had set up a meeting time for tea this afternoon.  We went to this very cute place downtown.  I was expecting it to be a little cafe but instead it was a used book store with a tea room upstairs.  I met one of the other teachers right at 4 and we looked around for awhile.  There is an English section of this bookstore too!  I was very excited to see that!  The other English teacher that met us came with her husband and with her 9 month-old little girl, Louise.  French kids are always adorable but this little girl was the cutest.  They have the most fashionable little coats in France for their kids that I don't think you could ever find in the United States.  Louise loved anything shiny that she could play with, especially spoons and my bracelet.  She sat on my lap trying so hard to get my bracelet off of my wrist, it was so cute.  I haven't babysat in a long time but I would definitely watch this little girl if Claude asked!  We joked about how I was speaking to her in English because I do not know any baby talk in French!  Not that she knew the difference but it was funny.  We sat for about an hour, I had a hot chocolate and a brownie, both were amazing!  It's wonderful finding trying out new places around the city because I can see which ones I like the best!  I didn't get a picture of this one but I will definitely be going back there soon and take one!

Dinner tonight was at the house, with all of my roommates plus a few others.  I love living here because I never know who is going to be at the house and sometimes I do not even know the people in the living room. But it's very fun and I love the sense of community here. 

I am off on my 10 day vacation tomorrow to London, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland!  I will probably be out of contact for most of that time, so I won't be able to update for about 2 weeks!  I am sure that I will have plenty to write about and pictures to show once I get back.  There might have to be a series of blog posts so I don't have you reading the Odyssey the day I get back.  Until then, loved ones!

C'est la bonne vie pour moi!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment