Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Beaujolais Season - It's time to drink a lot of wine!

France is very well known for a lot of things and one of the best of those is wine!  The French definitely know how to make their wine!  This past week, was the start of the Beaujolais season, which is the first wine released every year after harvesting the grapes.  It is always released the third Thursday in November and it's seen as just another reason for the French to celebrate!

But before I explain my own experience with Beaujolais, let me take you through my past week...

After I returned from Angers, I went straight back to work.  Work has been going really great lately because the kids seem more focused and I am getting to know my different teachers' teaching styles.  I have many teachers that let me know what they are working on in class so that I can prepare something to do with their lesson or something to do with the United States. It has been going really well.  In the past two weeks, my lessons have mostly included American Football and Thanksgiving.  The football lessons are fun because I can show clips from Oregon games and teach my kids to say "Go Ducks!"  It's also fun to watch some Oregon football since I do not get to see a lot here in France. In any case, the kids are at least paying attention and trying so I am happy.

Last Wednesday was the (hopefully) final task in getting my Visa certified.  I had to go to a medical visit and after, to the Office of Immigration with all of the right paperwork.  Luckily, or unluckily really, it was scheduled for my day off.  So I didn't miss any school, but I had to get up super early on a day that I normally try to sleep in.  The medical visit was....interesting.  I had been warned by many people that I would have to take a radiology test of my chest, meaning topless from the waist up.  If I have learned one thing, it's that the French definitely do not care about seeing naked bodies.  Well, okay then, when in France!  After getting an x-ray of my chest, I went with the group of people upstairs to wait for a physical type appointment with a doctor.  I was worried about this part too because I had heard different things from different people but it was perfectly fine and easy.  I had a female doctor and she just asked a couple of questions, nothing too hard, took my weight, height, blood pressure, etc. and I was good.  I had to wait for a little while to get my papers because she was busy but it wasn't too long.  When she came back out to give me my papers, she hands me a giant blue envelope and says I'm good to go.  I walk home and when I get there, I see that in the blue envelope are the papers I need and, an x-ray of my chest.  What?  Why do I have this? I texted Claire, one of my teachers, to see if this was normal and she assured me that yes, you always get a copy of your x-ray.  It's kind of cool actually, might be something fun to have since we never get copies in the United States.

After the medical visit, everything else was really easy at the immigration office.  Besides the place being easy to find, that part was not fun.  And it was cold and rainy.  Welcome to Normandy.  But once I got there, the paperwork went fast and I am officially able to reside in France, travel to and from the country as I please, until June 14th of next year.  Awesome!  Being a semi-official resident of France feels good.

Thursday, as I mentioned before, was the kick-off of the Beaujolais season.  Before I knew this, I met up with some friends at one of our apartments to play Apples to Apples and drink some wine.  As you could imagine, the game became more and more fun as the night went on.  After we just couldn't play anymore, we decided to go to one of our favorite bars.  I didn't get any Beaujolais this night, but I did try some and it was pretty good.   A little fruity, and not tart.  It was actually pretty smooth.  Beaujolais is the fastest produced wine.  It only takes about 6 months.  It has a semi-decent reputation in France but I think the French care more about the tradition rather than the taste of the actual wine.

The next day, I met up with the girls again.  I hadn't seen them for awhile when I was on my UK vacation and then again when I went to Angers so this weekend, we hung out a lot.  We went back to our bar but I had an Embuscade this time.  That bar makes the best Embuscades so that is normally what I drink when we go there.  Because it was a Friday, there was a live DJ.  He always plays pretty good music and tonight, it was even better.  I'm talking to the girls and all of the sudden I hear Earth, Wind, and Fire's "Let's Groove Tonight" and I could do nothing to stop myself from dancing.  I LOVE that song, so I got up and danced.  By myself.  In a French bar.  Here is the proof:

Getting my groove on

The next day was Saturday and lunch at Rose and Grey.  I don't know if I was extra hungry this day or what but the galettes and the crepes tasted better than ever before.  I was a happy camper leaving the restaurant.  We walked around for a little bit after that, and looked at some stores.  I have put a little halt on my shopping for now, I might let myself buy somethings for myself for Christmas but I need to cut back on the shopping if I want to do all of my traveling!  Saturday night, we met up again because there were two out of town assistants staying in the Caen for the weekend.  We took it easy this night, just stayed in and played card games.  And of course, drank more wine.  I managed to get out my camera for a few pictures this night.

 Nicole and Muna

Whitney and Me

Elizabeth and Nicole

Isabel hiding behind her cards

So I guess I shouldn't be surprised when I woke up sick the next morning.  Three nights in a row, drinking wine and staying up late?  Yep, shouldn't be surprised.  I made it to church in the morning and went to the market for a little bit but then retired to my room for the rest of the day.  I would have gone out to get some medicine for my cold but unfortunately, everything is closed on Sundays.  And I mean literally everything is closed.  So I just stayed in and slept.  I went out the next morning to get some stuff and I am already feeling better by the second day of taking some medicine.  Another thing I have learned about France is that everything is stronger here.  The medicine, the coffee, the wine.  They do not joke around.

And now you have caught up to the present in my life.  I have tomorrow off and about 3 hours of class on Thursday.  I am going to be talking about Thanksgiving seeing as it will be Thanksgiving.  I am very sad that I won't be in Oregon with my family but Angers will be a nice substitute with my family there.  I have so many things to be thankful for in my life, this is not a holiday to forget about, no matter what country I am in.  

Until then, my loved ones!  Happy Thanksgiving, I am thankful for all of you!  

C'est la bonne vie pour moi! :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment