Sunday, November 7, 2010

Les vacances part III - Ireland

And lastly on this amazing epic adventure of ours, we crossed the sea to Dublin, Ireland where we ended our vacation.  We spent three days here, and while I feel like we saw a lot, we were so exhausted at this point I do not feel that I gave Dublin a lot of energy and attention.  But here's what I have!

We flew to Dublin and landed at 11 pm at night on the 30th of October.  Because this was a Saturday, most people went out for Halloween on this night.  We were welcomed to Dublin with zombies, aliens, loads of other fun characters roaming the streets.  After a brief time trying to find the hostel, we finally found it and grabbed something to eat before heading to sleep for the night.

The next day, we woke up with every intention of going on the free walking tour to see the city and get to know all of the cool sites.  As we were walking there, we decided to skip the walking tour and head straight to the Guinness factory which we were really excited about!  It was quite a walk but once we got there, it was awesome!

This way to the Storehouse

Lots and lots of Guinness at this place

The factory was pretty amazing and really well put together.  They showed you the ingredients used in a Guinness, how they make it, gave you a taste test, showed advertising campaigns, and finally on the top story at the Gravity bar, you received your pint of Guinness that came with admission.  I have never been a big Guinness drinker before but I definitely liked it when I tried it.  Some people told us this wasn't worth going into and paying the admission fee, but I definitely enjoyed the exhibit and thought it was worth it!

Yay for Guinness

Margaux and I outside the Guinness Factory

That night we did not do much, just had dinner at an American style diner which was called Eddie Rocket's.  It was the exact same thing as Johnny Rocket's so it was nice to have some food from home.  I have to post this picture I took there because it reminded me so much of my Mom.  She is always making sure that everyone eats at my house and she has said this phrase to me several times! I couldn't believe it and I had to get a picture of it:

My mom's motto

The next day we got up to go to the walking tour again. This time we got all the way there, and walked with the tour for about two stops, and then decided that we both didn't want to do the tour so why were we doing it.  We decided to do it the next day and walked to Starbucks instead.  I had woken up not feeling very well so it was nice that we skipped the long walk in the cold weather. And because I didn't feel like being outside, we decided to do something fun inside: shopping!  They have a greta discount store in Dublin called Penny's and Margaux and I were there for probably about an hour and a half.  I didn't spend too much money but I got a bunch of jewelry, a scarf, and a sweater.  It was definitely what that day called for!

The very last day, we slept in, and got up for the walking tour and...we actually went on the walking tour.  Third time is a charm.  The tour was good, we didn't know that much about Dublin so it definitely was informative.  However, it rained all day long so it was a bit miserable at times.  But we met some really cool people from all over the world so it was fun talking to them!  And we saw some cool sites of Dublin as well!

Part of Trinity College

A beautiful park on a rainy day

We didn't get to go out into the countryside of Ireland which is something I would have like to do but I have seen a lot of the country over the last two weeks traveling, mostly by bus.  Someday, I will have to make it back to Ireland and spend some more time there but I am really happy with our trip there and what we did!

Until next time, Ireland!

The next morning we had to take about 5 different methods of transportation to get home to Caen but we made it safe and sound! This was a great trip and I am so happy we were able to fit so much in!  I am going to need a long rest before another big trip like that one!  

Hope you enjoyed my 12 day version of the Odyssey!  It's been a great adventure to share! 

C'est la bonne vie pour moi! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment