Sunday, September 5, 2010

11 day until I'm a resident of Caen, France

Less than two weeks to go and I'm feeling great about my big move!  Between all of the stress of the contract and figuring out when to set up a Visa appointment, I have hardly put anything together to teach my classes.  I still have a lot to put together and a lot of things to buy before I leave. Not to mention, my mom is throwing me a huge "Bon Voyage" party next Saturday that will take up a lot of my time this next week.

But, I'm at ease.  For the first time in months, I am not feeling the anxiety of moving abroad or the doubt that I can do this or the pressure of every little detail of leaving.  I am finally happy and excited, like I was when I first signed up for the program and when I got accepted.  I think everyone telling me "it will all work out" finally went to my head and I can finally believe it!

This past week, I went to San Francisco for the day to request my Visa.  While I was hoping to have it by now, my Visa still has the next 2 weeks to get to me.  I was assured by the Consulate that it would only take 3-5 business days before they mail it to me.  I also received an email from my contact person at the high school in Mondeville...and it was in ENGLISH!  Two nights earlier, I had spent two hours composing an email in French to this school in hopes they would get back to me in a timely manner.  Two days later, I have a wealth of information and a contact who speaks English! I learned that I will not be able to stay at the school like I once thought but instead should find an apartment in the city of Caen.  This is good news to me because that was my original plan.  True, it will be difficult to find housing once I am there but I have no doubt in my mind that it will all work out.  I have started buying things to help me teach the students, or to give to them as rewards for in class assignments.  Yesterday while shopping with my parents, I bought silly bands, those bracelets that are so popular right now, as well as glow sticks, which were very popular with my friends at Oregon :)

That is all the new information I have for now but I will update more before I leave!

C'est la bonne vie pour moi!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment