Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Playing Tourist and Getting Stuff Done

With these last fews days of freedom before my contract starts on Friday, I wanted to make sure that I am getting everything done, but also having fun exploring this country.

Caen is located in Normandy, only a half hour away from some of the D Day beaches.  Because of the rich history involved with the beaches, this was definitely something I wanted to check out and what better time to do it than on a rainy Monday?  Valerie and I met up with Margaux at the Tourists Office before heading over to where the buses would take us to the sea.  We wanted to make the most out of our day so we planned on visiting two of the main beaches out of the 4.  A very kind and helpful woman planned our day for us, including circling our times and stops on two different buses.  We were leaving at 10:40 and we wouldn't get back to Caen until 7:00.  After buying some sandwiches and water for the day, we were on our way.

Our first stop was Juno Beach, which the Canadians landed at on June 6, 1944.  At this beach there is a huge memorial for Canada.  There are Canadian flags hanging and most of the exhibit was about the country and economic situation of Canada at the start of World War II.  We learned a lot about Canada's involvement in the war and what their lives were like.  Then we went out in front of the memorial to look at the beach in front of us.

Canadian Memorial at Juno Beach

Pathway to Juno Beach, one of the D Day landing beaches

Cross looking out over the sea

After we BARELY made our bus, we were headed to our next stop: Arromanches.  Our bus ride wasn't very long and we had heard that if you were going to see the D Day beaches that you had to see this one.  When we were let off at our stop, it looked as if we were standing on a cliff of absolutely nothing.  There was nothing around us, except a giant statue of Mary on a cement pillar and a large cross, similar to the one at Juno Beach.  We walked down a little and found the reason why we were told to come to this one.  Once you walked down, you could see the city of Arromanches just below us and what looked to be cement blocks in the water.  We later found out they were used to create a "fake" port for the English that landed here during the war.  

The city below

Valerie et moi in Normandy

Then we found out about the 360 theater, in which they present a 20 minute long movie, no commentary, that portrays the life of a soldier serving in Normandy.  The film was phenomenal, very impacting, with scenes of modern Normandy incorporated.  I think what was most astonishing was the difference in what areas of Normandy looked like then and what they look like now.  We found out more about the history aspect of the war, in particular the importance of the city of Caen.  During the war, the Germans has completed conquered the city and the allies came to Normandy to take it back.  After they stormed through the beaches, they bombed the city of Caen for 6 whole nights in efforts to take it over from the Germans.  While they succeeded, very little stood after those 6 nights.  We saw pictures of Caen, pictures of streets we have walked through, with rubble cluttering the entire way.  It was incredible to learn what a key factor Caen played in the war.  There is amazing history in city where I am living.  

After we finished the movie, we went outside to walk down to the town of Arromanches.  It was a short, downhill walk and the view was absolutely gorgeous! There was an old house we saw that we all wanted to live in.  It was so beautiful and cute.  And they were remodeling so maybe it is up for sale?  In case anyone wants to get me a really nice Christmas or birthday gift, this is what I want:


We took a few pictures down by the beach and then headed to the pedestrian walkway to find a cute cafe and sit for awhile until our bus.  It was pretty chilly that day so it was nice to sit on the heated terrace and have some coffee.   

Arromanches Beach in Normandy

Margaux and me at the cafe in Arromanches

We managed to make our way back to Caen and we exactly on schedule.  We were so proud of ourselves for figuring out our buses all  day long and managing to make every single one.  And of course, thank you to the super nice lady who helped us plan our adventure!

Tuesday morning the time had come to open a French bank account.  It's actually a pretty easy process, just a lot of questions and signing things.  It only took about 40 minutes (thank you Valerie for waiting) and then, we had just passed another huge road bump on our trek to teaching.  Valerie and I did a little shopping at H&M as well because we needed more warm clothes and especially trench coats for the rain.  I am happy to say that we both made excellent purchases.  For Valerie's last night, we stayed in with my roommates who decided to cook the most phenomenal meal I have had here yet.  They made a cauliflower dish with a scrumptious sauce and lots of cheese as well as a rice dish with vegetables and chicken.  Needless to say, we were pretty happy with their choices and did our part by washing the dishes. 

Wednesday, I unfortunately had to take Valerie to the train station so that she can start her own adventure in Angers.  It was sad to see her go but I am so happy with the time we spent together and so glad she was able to stay with me for so long.  It was wonderful having a friend from home here.  It made everything a little easier in that initial transition.  After dropping her off, I headed over to Jules Verne to meet with Claire and get some information about teaching.  Not only did I received information but also keys, teacher's manuals, whiteboard markers, and my first class!  I was not expecting at all to teach today but Claire asked if I was doing anything or if I wanted to sit in on her class.  I got to talk to a group of students and had them ask me questions.  After, they had to tell the class everything they learned about me.  Even after one class I think I am really going to enjoy this year.  

This evening I went to student mass around the corner at Saint Julien and then we had dinner all together.  After dinner, we had to start planning the welcome back mass which is not for another 2 weeks.  But it is a big mass at the Saint Pierre, so we all have to be prepared.  I am on the welcoming team so it is my job to get there early, greet people and direct them where to sit.  I was also puled aside and asked to help two boys write the intentions.  There were to be four, and they wanted one in English.  After we finished, Pere Pierre Antoine tells me, Okay you are going to say this one, Elizabeth.  Excuse me, what?  I need to stand up in a French Gothic Cathedral and say this prayer I wrote in front of probably a hundred people, many of which won't understand it?  Okay, that's pretty cool.  I have two weeks to prepare so hopefully I will be ready!

Well I am off to bed now.  These posts will probably get a little shorter once I start school since I won't have as much time to go gallivanting through French cities and jump from cafe to cafe without a care in the world.  I think it will be nice to go back to a set schedule although I am already planning where to visit my first two weeks of vacation at the end of October:  At this point, it looks like possibly a ferry ride to Dublin, hop over to Scotland, then Wales and end in London before coming back to France.  More to come! 

C'est la bonne vie pour moi! :)

1 comment:

  1. It looks like not much has changed in the church involvement part! You are going to be the best greater there!!! Go Bethy! I want to hear all about your classes you teach once you start. Also, can we skype soon? I love you and I am glad things are starting off really well for you.

    ReplyDelete