Monday, May 30, 2011

Dear France,

We both knew this day was coming.  And now that it's here, I don't know what to say.  We've had so many good times over the last 9 months.  And now I'm leaving and not sure when I will be back.  It's a sad day in our life together. 


I remember when I first got here in September, I hated you so much.  I didn't know anyone, I was in a strange city in Normandy, I had no place to live, and on top of it all, I was majorly jet-lagged.  I thought I had never had a worse idea then coming here.  But luckily, things started to change.  I found a place to live, I found other assistants to hang out with and suddenly, being here wasn't so bad anymore.  And thank goodness, I started to like you again.  It could have been a long year if I felt that way the entire time. 


But more good things than bad started happening and I learned more about you.  For example, people really aren't lying when they say you have strikes all the time.  It was such and interesting experience to be with you during a major disagreement between the government and the people.  I saw people blocking trams with their bodies, marches through town with megaphones and giant posters, and people refusing to work until a change was made.  I experienced "the French way" of life when it came to anything of importance.  I would sum it up with this phrase: "it will get done".  Such a drastic change from my life in the US, and I loved every exciting minute of it. 


And when I was feeling down, you found some amazing way to cheer me up.  On Thanksgiving, when I was mad I had to work and sad about missing my family, it snowed.  My first snow on Thanksgiving and it was awesome!  Whereas everyone told me it rained all the time in Normandy, you gave us a pretty decent winter, with more sun than rain.  And even when I freaked out when traveling that the bad weather would keep me from getting to my destination, you never made it a problem for me (let's see if Iceland is as nice as you with that volcano).  And yes, it was incredibly cold most of the winter, but now I have some cute scarfs because of it.   So really, how can I be mad at you?


Of course, I have to mention the amazing friendships and memories we made together.  From the very first day I met the other assistants, when we did nothing but go from creperie, to cafe, to bar, to restaurant, I knew that we had made some awesome friends!  When Valerie first came to stay with me the second week I was here.  That was when I started to explore Normandy a little bit and learned that I loved this place.  Visiting my host family, Sue, and Valerie in Angers over a 4 day weekend.  I will never forget taking the train into the smallest town possible to find Valerie's great-grandfather's bakery, and then later finding her family's grave site in the cemetery.  Going to Deauville with Nadege and Thinh and discovering what a cute city it is.  Going to Deauville with Leah and Lindsay and using the phrase "trop de classe" every other sentence.  Going back to Angers to spend the weekend with Jean and Therese.  Going to the market in the morning with Therese, meeting up with Sue for lunch, joing Therese and Muriel for aperitifs at "Chez Toi", having dinner with just Jean and Therese, eating the BEST meals ever cooked in France, being so sad to have to say bye to my amazing family of people in Angers whom I love so much.  Having people come visit me in Caen and check out my little cute city in Normandy.


And naturally, I cannot forget all of our good times in Paris.  When I first visited Cory in Paris before I went home for Christmas, and we went to the Christmas market on the Champs-Elysees with her family and the kids she au pairs.  When Leah moved to Paris in January, and we decided on Wednesday morning that we were going to Belgium that weekend.  Visiting Leah in Paris during one of my vacations, staying out all night until the metro opened in the morning, dancing on Lindsay's rooftop terrace with a view of the Eiffel Tower and Sacre-Coeur.  Discovering the Marais for the first time, finding the best crepe stand in the whole city, finding out that most museums are closed on Mondays the hard way.  Meeting Leah at the Starbucks around the corner from her work, hanging out by St. Martin's canal with Cory, saying goodbye to Leah at a metro stop, her last night in Paris.  Creating "The Arrondissments" with Leah and Lindsay (think "The Hills" only set in Paris).  Being with Margaux when she finished her marathon, helping Margaux walk after her marathon, being around thoundsands of sweating, smelly, French people who had just finished a marathon.  Going back to Paris, just for the day, to have a picnic with Cory and Jaimie, walk around one last time, and taking a thousand pictures of the Eiffel Tower, as if it might change some how before I see it next. 


And lastly, all of our memories of just living together in Caen.  The multiple times I would be waiting for the bus to go to work, having to figure out when to re-charge my phone, deciding which way was faster walking.  Walking about the city and finding all of the little nooks and crannies that I love the most: the eerie cemetery, the church where I would like to get married, the Jardin des Plants. All of the little things, like having coffee with Margaux, Isabell, and Parisa every Wednesday at 3, going to the University for dinner with Nadege and Marthe because we were too lazy to cook, and eclairs on Mondays for the sole reason it was Monday.  Going to movies in "version originale" and being the only one laughing because the joke didn't translate in the French subtitles, buying shirts with stripes because that's what French people wear,  hearing my roomies say "mais yes, Elizabeth" every time I spoke "franglais".  Having a lawn party at the end of year with the other assistants, we probably had people from at least 7 different countries.  Having to say bye and trying not to cry because these are some beautiful people that I have come to love over this past year.


And voilà, France.  Our past 9 months together.  And now I sit at one of my favorite cafes writing you this letter.  We aren't breaking up, I'm just saying bye for now.  You know I will be back, I know I will be back; we just don't know when.  But before I go, I need to thank you.  Thank you for this year.  Thank you for the amazing teachers I worked with and the students I taught.  Thank you for the experiences in teaching, the good and the bad.  Thank you for helping me learn about myself, and helping me find some sort of direction of what I want to do with my life.  Thank you for improving my French, even if it will be hard to keep up in the US, I promise I will try.


Don't you ever change France (as if there was any chance of that), you are perfect just the way you are.  See you soon. Je t'aime.     


No comments:

Post a Comment